Kitchen countertops are among the most noticeable parts of a kitchen. Whether you are remodeling your kitchen or constructing a new one, here are some factors that you will need to consider before choosing your new countertop!
The first factor that I considered when choosing my kitchen countertop at AtoZ Kitchen and Bath was my lifestyle. It is essential that you think about how often you will use the kitchen so that you can choose the most apt countertop material. For instance, ask yourself if you’ll be cooking everyday. Will you have time to clean your kitchen regularly? These questions are crucial as they will help you assess your needs before making your final decision.
If you’re looking for some tips, consider the following: If you’re someone who bakes a lot, installing marble countertops will give you an excellent surface to work your dough. If you’re someone who does a lot of chopping, you might want to install a high-quality butcher’s block on your countertop to act as a built-in chopping board.
If you do not want a surface that stains easily, you will need to consider another essential factor before choosing your countertop: ease of cleaning. Below you will find some suggestions:
- Solid surfacing countertops are non-porous and hence very easy to clean.
- Quartz countertops are also relatively easy to clean.
- Did you know that stainless steel countertops are preferred for commercial kitchens as they are stain-resistant?
- However, despite being famous for their beauty, granite countertops require constant sealing to prevent stains.
- You will be surprised to learn that even with sealing, marble countertops are vulnerable to staining.
#3. Pleasing to the Eye
The aesthetics of kitchen countertops are as important as their functionality. They must not only complement the interiors but also add a touch of beauty and warmth to kitchen space.
- For example, marble is known for its sheer elegance and variety of colors.
- The unique patterns of granite countertops can help to bring a personal touch and natural vibe to a kitchen.
- Solid surface countertops provide numerous pattern options that give off a modern and trendy vibe.
- On the other hand, stone and wood countertops bring a natural and exotic feel to a kitchen.
Another critical factor to consider when choosing kitchen countertops is the material’s ability to resist scratches, stains, heat, burns and chipping. Let me provide you with some helpful information:
- Usually, granite countertops can hold up well against scratches, hot pans and sharp knives but often require sealing, as mentioned above.
- Engineered stone countertops are very strong and durable and are appropriate for kitchens with high traffic.
- Tile countertops can also stand up against heat and sharp objects. Besides, they can also be easily replaced if they chip or crack.
- When it comes to laminate countertops, they are the most vulnerable ones to burns and scratches and in addition, can be difficult to repair due to their raw particleboard core.
- Despite being insanely popular today, soapstone countertops, unfortunately, cannot resist knife scratches.
A kitchen, the place where food is prepared, should always be clean and free of bacteria as we all know that food contamination may lead to several health problems. This is the reason why people often tend to avoid countertops with grooves such as tiles, as they can hold dirt and cause bacteria growth if not cleaned properly.
And if you wonder about granite and concrete countertops, then let me tell you that this issue can be solved with sealing, but this is a fairly labor-intensive method.
Different kitchen countertops are available at varying price ranges. For instance, it is true that natural materials are expensive to buy and maintain but they are considered as a wise choice in the long run.
Considering the above factors, why don’t you take a look at AtoZ Kitchen and Bath that can offer you a variety of beautiful and durable kitchen countertops?